The Olympics are a time when the world comes together to celebrate the best athletes in a wide variety of sports. The boxing tournament is always one of the most highly anticipated events, as it features some of the most talented and skilled athletes in the world.
The 2021 boxing tournament did not disappoint, as there were plenty of great matches and exciting moments. In the end, it was the athletes listed below who emerged victorious and won gold medals for their respective countries.
Who Won Gold in Boxing Olympics 2021
Boxing has been contested at every Summer Olympic Games since its appearance as a demonstration sport in the 1904 Summer Olympics. The 2008 Summer Olympics were the last Olympics to include boxing as a sport.
The first boxing competition in the modern Olympics took place in 1904, in St. Louis, United States. It was not until the 1920 Summer Olympics, held in Antwerp, Belgium, that boxing became a medal event. The number of weight classes has varied over the years, from seven at those first Games to ten from 1952 until the 1988 Seoul Olympics. Since then, it has alternated between nine and ten weight classes. Women’s boxing was added as an Olympic sport in 2012 and returned for the 2016 Rio Summer Olympics.
The boxing tournament at the 2020 Olympic Games in Tokyo will feature male boxers in thirteen different weight classes. Among the weight classes there are both Olympic and non-Olympic categories.
The following is the list of weight classes:
-Light flyweight (49 kg)
-Flyweight (52 kg)
-Bantamweight (56 kg)
-Featherweight (60 kg)
-Lightweight (64 kg)
-Light welterweight (69 kg)
-Welterweight (75 kg)
-Middleweight (81 kg)
-Light heavyweight (91 kg)
-Heavyweight (>91 kg)
-Super heavyweight (>91 kg)*
* The super heavyweight class was introduced at the 2016 Olympic Games.
As of June 2021, the following athletes have been confirmed as gold medalists in the boxing olympics:
-Teddy Atlas (USA)
-Claressa Shields (USA)
-Nicola Adams (GBR)
-Katie Taylor (IRL)
1. Katie Taylor (Ireland) – Won gold in the lightweight category (60 kg)
2. Wilfredo Mendez (Puerto Rico) – Won gold in the light welterweight category (64 kg)
3. Ewa Brodnicka (Poland) – Won gold in the welterweight category (69 kg)
4. Marlen Esparza (United States) – Won gold in the flyweight category (51 kg)
The following are the gold medalists of the boxing olympics 2021.
In the men’s boxing event at the 2021 Olympics, there were a total of 11 medalists. The gold medalists were:
• Yulis Gabriel Mercedes of the Dominican Republic in the Flyweight category (52 kg)
• Eumir Marcial of the Philippines in the Middleweight category (75 kg)
• Bektemir Melikuziev of Uzbekistan in the Light heavyweight category (81 kg)
• Daniyar Yusupov of Kazakhstan in the Heavyweight category (91 kg)
• Satanfrancik Castro Maceo of Cuba in the Super heavyweight (+91 kg)
1. Katie Taylor (Ireland) – Lightweight
2. Claressa Shields (United States) – Middleweight
3. Estelle Mossely (France) – Light welterweight
4. Nouchka Fontijn (Netherlands) – Heavyweight
In conclusion, the gold medalists of the boxing olympics 2021 were as follows:
In the men’s competition, Joshua Buatsi from Great Britain won gold in the light heavyweight category. In the heavyweight category, Nikita Ababiy from the United States won gold. Lastly, in the super heavyweight category, Erislandy Savon from Cuba won gold.
In the women’s competition,Oleksandra Nikitina from Ukraine won gold in the lightweight category. In the middleweight category, Liudmila Vorontsova from Russia won gold. And finally, in the heavyweight category, Yanan Sun from China won gold.